Saturday, May 31, 2008

First day over

Don't have much time to blog today.

It was our field day in the field.  Went well, we are all tired and sore though.  First day of lots of hiking will do that to ya, that coupled with having to measure a ~1500 foot stratigraphic section with jacob's staves (we finish that tomorrow morning, then we make a geologic map of the area tomorrow afternoon).  

So, HERE are some photos of the journey so far - of our pit stops on the way from socal to Montana and our first day in the field.  Let me know if the album does not work!


Oh and I would like to mention what the food situation is like here.  There is a dorm cafeteria buffet at breakfaster and dinner, and a vegetarian option is always offered, it would appear. However, nothing vegan has yet been seen on the menu, aside from the salad bar, which I am at least thankful for.  So I've had a salad of iceberg (bleh) lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, white mushrooms, with french dressing, the past two dinners.  I just supplemented that with a cocoa crispies cereal and rice dream snack.  So I'm not starving, but I'm gonna get real tired of salad soon.
They offer a sandwich bar and provide granola bars and nutri-grain bars, fruit, and applesauce and chips and soda, to pack sack lunches for the day to take out into the field.  All the breads they offer, by some local Montana bakery, have whey (cultured milk) in them.  Thankfully, as any other vegan will know, this is a common (pointless) bread additive even in some healthy, organic, whole-wheat breads, so I had already bought my own vegan wheat loaf from the local Safeway.

and I used the peanut butter and jelly bar to make my lunch sammich (the Lunch bar offers only deli meat and cheese).

However, there is a light on the horizon.  I found a natural foods store in town (it's biking distance, but I have no bike here, haha) called Good Life if I remember correctly, but its hours are such that I may not be able to visit it for awhile, maybe until I have a free day.  But the organic vegan stuff in the window seemed promising!  I'm crossing my fingers they have primal strips or jerquee.  

Until I write again, over and out
Geovegan 
(Emily)

2 comments:

Jackie said...

i misses my wenis :(

cenedrawood said...

nice pictures emi